Thursday, November 28, 2013
- globally, 77,600,000 girls do not attend school
- there are 33,000,000 fewer girls than boys in primary education
- girls with secondary education are 6 times less likely to be married as children
- a girl with 7 years of schooling in the developing world will have 2.2 fewer children
- a child born to a literate mother is 50% more likely to survive past the age of 5
- two thirds of the 775,000,000 illiterate adults, and 63% of illiterate youth, are female
- literate mothers are twice as likely to immunize their children and send them to school
- a girl who completes basic education is 3 times less likely to contract HIV
- a girl earns 20% more as an adult for every additional year of education she receives
- a nation’s GDP rises an average of 3% when 10% more its girls attend school
- less than 2% of international development funds are specifically allocated to girls
- school is not free in over 50 countries
sources from girl rising
photos: (1) malala yousafza before addressing the un; (2) joey l. of a school for the hamar tribe in ethiopia; (3) beawiharta in jakarta of students who risk life crossing a collpased bridge to get to school; (4) muhammed muheisen in pakistan; (5) altaf gadri of an unofficial school run for slum dwellers held under a bridge in new delhi; (6) paula bronstein of burmese refugees in thailand at a school in their refugee camp; (7) noah seelam in hyderabad, india; (8) per anders pettersson, uganda; (9) lana slezic in afghanistan; (10) roberto schmidt in afghanistan, where acid attacks and poisoning of water by the taliban is on the increase at schools for girls
Sunday, November 17, 2013
next time someone tells you Muslim countries oppress women, let them know Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Turkey, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, and Senegal have all had female Presidents or Prime Ministers and 1/3rd of Egypt’s parliament is female but the US has yet to even have a female vice president and can’t say “vagina” when discussing female reproductive rights
Friday, November 15, 2013
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
"Many of my movies have strong female leads - brave, self-sufficient girls that don’t think twice about fighting for what they believe in with all their heart. They’ll need a friend, or a supporter, but never a savior. Any woman is just as capable of being a hero as any man." - Hayao Miyazaki
Sunday, November 3, 2013
Well, what can I say… The Future is here. This is one of the most amazing artifacts from the future I’ve seen in a long time.
Think about the potential and what you can do with it when they increase the resolution and the strength of the blocks (carbon composites, graphene… whatever). I definitely share the astonishment of Kevin Kelly:
Wow, it’s the beginning of….. something in our future. There must be a science fiction name for a full body controlled virtually. It’s a demo of….
Be sure to watch the video:
[made by MIT Professor Hiroshi Ishii and his students] [via Kevin Kelly]
This is amazing.
Monday, October 28, 2013
i made something from my fav chocys. ferrero rocher nails!
Thursday, October 10, 2013
r u from europe because europiece of shit
If sex without love can exist, then people need to realize love without sex can exist.
Unknown (via obliteratedheart)